Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Inspiration!

One of the fringe benefits of being an illustrator for the children's market is that it gives me an excuse to buy TOYS!

Toys connect me to my past and to the stories and characters that have inspired me. That hunk of plastic sitting on my desk reminds me of the hours I spent sitting in kindergarten, drawing Godzilla over and over.

I got married last year. I'm starting to look into buying a house for the first time. I'm fast approaching one of those milestone birthdays. There's no doubt that I've grown up. But I'm happy (and relieved) that I haven't grown out my love of monsters, aliens, ghouls and dinosaurs!

6 comments:

John B. Watson said...

You had me worried for a second there. When you started going on about getting married and growing up, I thought you were going to say you've outgrown toys or your wife is making you get rid of them. Thank the toy gods that's not the case!

A few critcisms (yes, even for a non-illustration post.) Where's the Davey Jones toy I bought you last Christmas (or was it for your last birthday?) Still in the package I bet! Also, the queen alien from Aliens is missing as well as the octopus robot from the Matrix. Those aliens from The Thing are disgusting. Good thing I've already eaten.

You realize after this post that it would be hypocritical for you to continue to tease me about MY
"toy museum" right?

John B. Watson said...

P.S. What are those creepy, skeleton people with the dog in the center in the picture? Did you make them? I don't think I've ever seen them before. Are you hiding toys from me? No fair! Just for that you're NEVER getting your King Kong figure back!

Mrs. Chili said...

I love the collection and no, growing up doesn't mean you have to give these things up! (especially if you can write them off for tax purposes!!)

Jannie aka Chickengirl said...

Great collection! Its the best excuse in the world to buy toys, I definitely agree!

Lab Cat said...

Now I know what to buy you for your birthday...

Andy J Smith illustration said...

Yah, I have a sweet little collection too. I haven't added to it in some time though. When I lived in NYC, it was hard not to buy little toys and such. The problem I have is dusting them. I think i am going to stuff them in a box and feature a new little guy on my desk to inspire me each week.

PS I am quite jealous of your Sigmund the Sea Monster. HOLY SMOKES!