Some of the changes I made between the two versions and why:
- I moved the bear up. He now has more presence, he's also bigger/closer to the viewer
- The dog is more animated and stylized - a little goofy looking. I like that!
- The kneeling boy has been nerdified - I think that makes him more distinctive.
- I changed the standing boys gaze and expression to differentiate him from the kneeling boy.
- Details! Between the two drawing I spent time studying: bears, canteens, hiking boots, trees and ferns. I also took some reference photos of myself (and my wife) assuming the poses in the illustration.