Monday, June 30, 2008

Illustration Friday: Fierce

FROM THE ARCHIVE: The heart and soul of my hometown is The Music Hall, a 125+ year-old theater that features live performances and movies. Summerfilm is the Music Hall's film series that runs from Memorial Day through Labor day and features an eclectic mix of Hollywood blockbusters, art films and classics. Where else can you see Tarzan and his Mate (1932) one night and No Country for Old Men the next?

I created this poster for one of the first Summerfilms and it hung around town and in the lobby. It's a loving homage to the giant monster movies I grew up watching. I think that thing qualifies as fierce.

Special thanks to fellow illustrator John Watson for insisting I submit this for the Illustration Friday topic "fierce."

11 comments:

John B. Watson said...

Cool! The Cloversquid monster rears his fierce head once again. I've always loved this poster and thought it was perfect for this week's IF topic. I think it still holds up really well. Thanks for the "props" about pestering you to post it and for the link to my website.

Mrs. Chili said...

*SNORT!!* "It came from behind the salt piles!" BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Robert Squier said...

Hey Mrs. Chili, I've always wanted to know how to spell BWAHAHAHAHAHA - now I know! I hope you weren't drinking milk when you *SNORTED* - that could mess up a keyboard. Thanks for noticing the salt pile reference - I crack myself up...

Anonymous said...

That is one fierce monster. Very dark illustration. Great expressions and mixture of an advertisement. Love it.

Roberta said...

Amazing as ever!

Digital Scott's Illustrationblog said...

Really terrific work!!! Very cool.

Cheryl said...

Great blend of fierce and entertaing.

froggie is... said...

YIKES! WHOMPER cover! really awesome piece! :)

Steve said...

Awesome! I love this one. Great illustration!

Anonymous said...

Very skillfully done. It really captures the old horror movie genre well. It does this weeks topic proud.

knallbeige said...

very good work, I love your characters and style