Wednesday, April 8, 2009

SCBWI Poster Sketch

The SCBWI New England annual conference is coming up at the end of April and once again the weekend features a themed and juried poster competition. The theme this year is "Many Voices" and the art will be judged on storytelling, character, setting, color, focus and composition.

I've mulled over several ideas and have settled on the concept above. Ain't it great! Well, I admit it doesn't look like much at this stage. This is how all my illustrations start, with a doodle. I'll post more as the illustration progresses - stay tuned!

2 comments:

John B. Watson said...

Looks like there's lots of potential for some fun characters and a dynamic composition. Nice to see you post a rough sketch. People don't get a chance to see that stage of the process from you that often.

Laura Zarrin said...

I'm so glad you posted such a rough sketch. Mine look like that, too. Glad to know I'm not alone. Can't wait to see the progress and the piece!