Friday, January 30, 2009

Illustration Friday: Flawed

There is a serious flaw in this sketch. Can you see it? I didn't notice my faux pas until a friend pointed it out to me; I felt like a dope when I saw what I had done. 

Don't see it? The flaw is revealed below... 

The boy has six fingers

When I was a kid I would often draw hands with too many (or too few) fingers, or I'd put the thumb on the wrong side. I thought I had outgrown this type of mistake – apparently, I was wrong. 

This sketch became the cover of an educational book about Independence Day. Thank goodness the extra digit was caught early – that's not the sort of mistake you want to discover after a book has been published!

Final (5-fingered) art below. Thanks to Teri Weidner for her ability to count fingers correctly!


7 comments:

Unknown said...

you could have always made the story around a kid with 6 fingers...

And anyway - they were 6 really well drawn fingers! Either way, good job!

Kassi Isaac said...

one extra finger to pick your nose with??? :) nice illustration ! x kas

John B. Watson said...

Thank Teri is right. That would have been disasterous! How did the great and powerful "Super Critic" miss that flaw? Must have been an off day for him...

Edrian said...

Well, it's so well drawn that it seems perfectly natural. Great post!

Chuck Dillon said...

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.


Sorry, couldn't resist.

Anonymous said...

Your friend must have x-ray eyes! lol! Great drawing and beautifully colored! What's an extra digit or so when you can draw this well!?

Roberta said...

great post!