Friday, January 13, 2012

The Year in Pictures 2011


This collage represents my illustration output in 2011. Each thumbnail is taken from a different project. Some projects were small and personal, others professional and far-flung. Third row, fourth square is an experiment with a new medium (new for me): gouache.  First row, second square represents a six-book series of of Bible parables.

I do this exercise mostly for myself – a way of  assessing my progress as an artist. I have a variety of thoughts and emotions as I see a year's work in chronological order.  Here are some of the thoughts that crossed my mind:

I rock!

I suck!

I'm my own worst critic (and best cheerleader), and as I saw these illustrations again, I was judging each of them with "fresh" eyes. They're all successful illustrations – but I find some more appealing than others… Suffice to say – this exercise helps me track my strengths, my weakness and the evolution of my style.


Now on to 2012!

2 comments:

Mrs. Chili said...

I feel that way about my writing, too. We can't be "on" all the time, after all.

John B. Watson said...

You suck...but only because you rock! Impressive variety of projects, styles and technique.