Saturday, March 17, 2012

Happy St. Patrick's Day!


Happy St. Patrick's Day! I created this leprechaun for a group mailing my agent, Portfolio Solutions, put together. Each artist had to illustrate a leprechaun with a pot of gold and a rainbow.  I first tried to make the leprechaun look like he was hot tubbing in his pot of gold, but he just looked naked – and creepy. See sketch below…

Sorta like a white-trash leprechaun.

I experimented a bit with this project: there's a lot more texture than I usually use and the leprechaun is more cartoony and stylized. I think it's fun – and a style I want to explore.

And why the snake? I don't know. I think I was going for irony but, really, it's inexplicable.

If this is what's waiting for me at the end of rainbow, I'm not interested.

4 comments:

Mrs. Chili said...

Yeah; he DEFINITELY needed clothes...

John B. Watson said...

I love the texture in this illustration. Wise decision to give him clothes. If he wasn't covered up by gold in that sketch, you'd be able to see his Shillelagh!

Chuck Dillon said...

Yes, I like the textures too! Well done!

Casey G. said...

Rob, the texture looks awesome! I love it, I can't wait to see how you continue with it.